BUCKSPORT, Maine — Crews were busy Wednesday sprucing up the waterfront area in preparation for the 13th annual Bucksport Bay Festival.
The festival, which starts Thursday and runs through Sunday, has become a popular midsummer event for both festival-goers and the vendors that will line the waterfront area during the weekend.
“There’s a lot of interest,” said festival coordinator Jim Zeman. “I could hold two festivals with the number of vendors we’ve had calling for vendor space. We’re all full up.”
For all its popularity, though, it has retained a local flavor, Zeman said.
“It’s a Maine festival,” he said. “We offer the things that people want to see at a festival, but we’re not as big as some of the big city festivals. The waterfront is nice and offers a great view. It’s a combination of all that.”
Zeman said the festival will offer a lot of the old favorite activities including a parade, 5k run and fireworks, and also will include this year an expanded kids area, including an animal petting area organized by the 4-H club. Also new this year will be a karaoke contest on Friday night.
Activities planned for the weekend include:
• The Riverbend Players, USO Revisited — A Salute to Our Military, 7 p.m. Thursday, July 22, and Sunday, July 25, Alamo Theater, Main Street. $8 admission; $6 seniors and students.
• Parade, 9 a.m. Saturday, July 24, Verso down Franklin Street; right on Mill Street; right, returning along Main Street to Verso parking lot.
• Bucksport Historical Society, 1-4 p.m. Thursday and Friday, July 22-23; 10 a.m. Saturday, July 24.
• 5k Family Fun Run, 8 a.m. Saturday, July 24.
• Blueberry pancake breakfast, 8 a.m. Saturday, July 24, near Flag Pole Point.
• Antique and Classic Car Show, 10 a.m. Saturday, July 24, Elm Street Congregational Church.
• Fallen Heroes Memorial Service on Penobscot River. Honoring all those who have given their lives serving United States, 11 a.m. Saturday, July 24.
• Live music at Gazebo Stage, Saturday, July 24: Dixieland Jazz Band, 11 a.m.; National Guard Jazz Band, 12:45 p.m.; Money Down, 3:30 p.m.; Willy Kelly Band, 5:15 p.m.; Steel Rail Express, 7 p.m.
• Kids’ Center, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, July 24, parking area behind Chamber. Admission $5. The center will feature a small animal petting area, interactive puppet show, bounce houses, hole-in-one golf, Skee-Ball games, shoot hoops, pitch baseballs, toss footballs, face painting and child safety-ID program.
• Hancock County United Bikers of Maine Motorcycle Show, 11 a.m. Saturday, July 24, Bangor Savings Bank parking lot.
• Book signings at Book-Stacks tent: Gerry Boyle, noon-1 p.m.; Linda Greenlaw, “Seaworthy,” 1-3 p.m.; Katherine Page Hall, 3-4 p.m. Saturday, July 24.
• Hannaford pie bakeoff, 1 p.m. Saturday, July 24, Flag Pole Point, slices for sale.
• Fireworks, 9 p.m. Saturday, July 24.
For more information, visit www.bucksportchamber.org.