June 22, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Two Fort Kent men charged in face-off

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

FORT KENT, Maine — Two Fort Kent men are facing separate charges after allegedly committing criminal acts against each other during a six-hour time span on Saturday.

Fort Kent Police Chief Kenneth Michaud said Monday the incident began about 2:30 p.m. on South Perley Brook Road.

Police received a call from Mark Theriault, 46, of Fort Kent, who said that when he and his son, whose age was unavailable, went to the home of Larry Long, 54, on South Perley Brook Road to retrieve a car, Long told him to leave. Theriault told police that Long allegedly took out a gun and fired the weapon at him and his son as they were leaving the home.

Theriault called 911 and police arrived on the scene.

Long denied that he had fired a gun, according to Michaud. He told police that Theriault arrived at his home intoxicated and Long told him that he could not sell him the car. The chief said Long acknowledged that he had brandished an ax in front of Theriault’s car to scare him off, but denied firing a gun.

Long subsequently was arrested and charged with criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon. He paid surety bail of $5,000 and was released. He is scheduled to appear in Caribou Superior Court on Aug. 19.

Michaud added that at around 8:30 that evening, the Police Department received a 911 call to go to Long’s residence once again. Long told police that Theriault had arrived at his home, punched him in the face and head several times and then drove off.

The chief added that a female at Long’s residence tried to get between the two, and she also was punched in the head during the incident.

Michaud said that just after the incident, he encountered Theriault headed west on South Perley Brook Road and stopped the vehicle. The chief said Theriault appeared to be intoxicated. Theriault was charged with operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicants and assault.

The chief said Theriault also was charged with misuse of the 911 system because he reportedly called 911 several times regarding the incident, even after police had dealt with the situation. Michaud said Theriault was swearing at the dispatcher and also was threatening toward the individual.

Theriault was released on an unsecured bail of $1,000. He is scheduled to appear in Fort Kent District Court on Aug. 2.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like