DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — A former Greenville barber accused of sexually assaulting two underage girls and a Mayo Regional Hospital nurse who allegedly took $8,000 worth of prescription drugs from the hospital were among nine people indicted Thursday by the Piscataquis County grand jury.
Donald Eugene Denbow, 68, of Shirley was indicted on 13 counts of gross sexual assault and one count of sexual abuse of a minor.
Denbow, who operated a barbershop in Greenville until his October arrest and a similar business in Dover-Foxcroft until late August, was convicted in 1982 of sexually abusing his own daughter from the age of 5 to 13. The more recent charges involve two 15-year-old girls who were hired by Denbow to clean his barbershop after hours.
One of the girls, who worked for Denbow from age 10 to 12, told police that Denbow had sex with her hundreds of times in the barbershop and would pay her for it. The other girl accused Denbow of making sexual advances, including putting his hand inside her underwear, while she worked for him between March and May 2008.
Paula Thorne, 44, of Orneville was indicted on charges of theft, stealing drugs and possession of scheduled drugs. Thorne was accused of stealing about $8,000 worth of prescription drugs over several months from Mayo Regional Hospital in Dover-Foxcroft, where she worked as a nurse. She allegedly took out the prescription drugs for hospital patients but the patients never received them.
In another case, Corey Cookson, 31, of Abbot, who allegedly trashed a Kingsbury Plantation home earlier this year and broke into the former KC’s Store in Parkman, was indicted on two counts of Class B burglary, one count of Class C burglary, aggravated criminal mischief, operating after suspension, theft and furnishing liq-uor to a minor.
Christopher W. Bessler, 20, of Atkinson was indicted on charges of burglary, attempted arson and criminal mischief. Bessler allegedly broke into an Atkinson camp in November and attempted to burn the camp to cover the burglary.
Also indicted Thursday were:
• David M. Bell, 37, Ripley, aggravated operating after revocation, criminal operating under the influence of intoxicants and unauthorized use.
• Robert Douchette, 57, Union, theft by unauthorized taking.
• Conrad A. Gerard, 81, Dover-Foxcroft, aggravated assault, domestic violence assault, violation of protection from abuse order and violation of condition of release.
• Michael Gustin, 34, Milo, aggravated criminal trespass, assault and unlawful sexual contact.
• Cynthia M. Levasseur, 45, Dexter, Class D theft of services and a Class C theft of services.