June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Bangor man, 22, charged in knife threatening

A 22-year-old Bangor man who threatened a woman with a knife during the early morning hours of Sunday later cut himself when he punched windows of an Essex Street house, Bangor police Sgt. Bob Bishop said Sunday evening.

When Officer John Robinson arrived on Essex Street at around 1 a.m., they found Donald “Donny” McMahon with a bloody face and hands, Bishop said.

McMahon “wouldn’t stop screaming,” he said, adding the suspect had to be wrestled to the ground and handcuffed.

During the investigation, police learned that McMahon apparently “held a knife to the female’s head,” but the victim was uncooperative and declined to file a police report, Bishop said.

McMahon was arrested and taken to Penobscot County Jail. He was charged with felony criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, disorderly conduct, domestic violence and felony tampering with a victim, according to Bishop and jail officials.

If convicted of either of his two felony charges, McMahon could face a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000. He remained in jail Sunday night, a jail official said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)


Maine State Police Detective Gerald Coleman pulled into the Circle K on Main Street in Bangor on Saturday night and witnessed two men fighting and rolling around on the ground, Bangor police Sgt. Bob Bishop said Sunday.

“He broke up the fight” and called Bangor police at 11:26 p.m., he said.

Cory Grenier, 20, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and violating conditions of his release and taken to Penobscot County Jail. The other suspect in the fight, Phillip McIntyre, approximately 28, was given a disorderly conduct warning. Grenier remained in jail Sunday night, a jail official said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)


Bangor area law enforcement responded quickly to a report of a knife fight involving four adults at a Holden motel late Saturday that resulted in two people being arrested, Holden police Officer Chris Greeley said Sunday.

Maine State Police, Brewer police officers and deputies from the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department joined Holden officers at 12:19 p.m. at the Town ’N Country Motel, which is located on Route 1A just over the Holden town line from Brewer.

When Greeley arrived, “eight to 10 people” were outside, some arguing, and one 28-year-old man from Bangor had a large lump on his head and was bleeding.

“Alcohol was involved,” he said.

The officer was told another man involved in the fight had taken off on foot. State police Trooper Seth Edwards volunteered to track the man with his dog, Boris, who quickly found Calvin Atwood, 35, of Bangor, hiding behind a nearby building. Atwood, who also was bleeding, was arrested on two outstanding warrants.

Ryan Gaudet, 24, of Bangor, who would not stop interfering with the investigation and who was given several disorderly conduct warnings, was eventually charged with disorderly conduct because “he would not close his mouth,” Greeley said.

When everyone calmed down, “nobody wanted to press charges” and no weapon was found, he said. The 28-year-old man was taken to a Bangor hospital for his minor injuries. Both Gaudet and Atwood were taken to Penobscot County Jail and remained there Sunday, a jail official said. (Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN)

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like