June 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Anziani pleads not guilty in Bangor baby’s death

Edgard Anziani, right,27, of Massachusetts looked towards the gallery as he was escorted from the the courtroom after making his initial appearance at the Penobscot Judicial Center Friday morning March 12, 2010. He was extradited this week from Maryland following his arrest there. He is charged with beating and killing Cheryl Metzger's 15-month-old son, Damien Lynn at a Bangor apartment on February 23. BANGOR DAILY NEWS FILE PHOTO JOHN CLARKE RUSS
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Lawrence, Mass., man Wednesday denied killing his former girlfriend’s 15-month-old son in February.

Edgard B. Anziani, 27, pleaded not guilty to murder and manslaughter in the death of Damien Lynn, son of Cheryl Metzger, 22, of Bangor.

A trial date has not been set.

Anziani was arraigned by videoconference hook-up between Penobscot County Jail and the Penobscot Judicial Center. It was the first time a high-profile defendant has been arraigned in Bangor from the jail.

The video arraignment was held at Anziani’s request, according to defense attorney Jeffrey Silverstein of Bangor.

Anziani, who was indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury last month, has agreed to be held without bail pending the outcome of his case.

It is the practice of the Maine Attorney General’s Office, which prosecutes homicide, not to comment on pending cases.

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson declined Wednesday to comment on why prosecutors sought indictments for both murder and manslaughter. Having Anziani indicted on both charges, however, would allow a jury to consider the lesser charge of manslaughter if it found him not guilty of murder.

Anziani was baby-sitting when the child was fatally injured, according to Bangor police. Anziani allegedly told investigators that the boy had fallen down the stairs. The state medical examiner concluded that Damien Lynn’s injuries were not consistent with a fall and were inflicted.

The child’s mother was being treated at a local hospital at the time and had asked Anziani to watch the boy, police said.

Once Bangor police had enough evidence to arrest Anziani, he had fled. He was tracked to Maryland, where he was taken into custody by FBI agents. He was returned to Bangor on March 10.

If convicted of murder, Anziani faces between 25 years and life in prison. He faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted of manslaughter.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like