June 21, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Pride | Janet Mills | Urban Farming Ban

Stonington man sentenced in attack

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A Stonington man has been sentenced to serve nine months behind bars for attacking another man last Halloween, according to documents filed in Hancock County Superior Court.

Davis S. Bradshaw, 19, pleaded guilty on March 29 to charges of aggravated assault, criminal threatening and violating conditions of release. The charges stem from a confrontation during which Bradshaw struck another man with a pipe and then threatened to kill a woman.

He also pleaded guilty to charges from a separate incident in which he led police on a high-speed chase through three Hancock County towns last June.

On Monday, Bradshaw received an overall sentence of five years in prison with all but nine months suspended for the aggravated assault conviction, court documents indicate. He received concurrent sentences of nine months behind bars for the criminal threatening conviction, six months for eluding an officer, six months for passing a roadblock, 10 days for criminal speeding and 10 days for violating conditions of release.

He also had his driver’s license suspended for 180 days after pleading guilty to driving to endanger and was ordered to pay more than $9,000 in restitution to the assault victim.

According to an affidavit filed in Superior Court, the Oct. 31 assault occurred when Bradshaw wanted to get a vehicle back from his ex-girlfriend and went to her house in Stonington to get it. The ex-girlfriend was not home but arrived with her new boyfriend as Bradshaw and two other people were standing outside her home next to the vehicle, police indicated in the document.

The new boyfriend told Bradshaw to leave and, as the boyfriend turned to walk away, Bradshaw picked up a pipe from the ground and struck the man with it twice in the back of the head, according to police. Bradshaw then threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend, but instead left with the other people.

Police said the victim suffered two fractures to the back of his skull in the attack.

The driving incident happened on June 20, 2009, when police tried to stop Bradshaw for driving 30 mph more than the speed limit in Blue Hill village, police have said.

Instead of stopping for police, Bradshaw sped off, eventually reaching speeds between 80 and 100 mph before he drove over a spike mat set out by police on Route 15 in Sedgwick, police said at the time. After driving a few more miles at slow speeds, Bradshaw drove south over the Deer Isle-Sedgwick Bridge and then stopped and was arrested by police in Deer Isle.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like