June 01, 2020
Court News Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Two Rivers | Today's Paper

Bank robber sentenced to federal prison

The Connecticut man who pleaded guilty in December to robbing the TD Banknorth branch on Union Street last April was sentenced Thursday to more than five years in federal prison during proceedings at U.S. District Court in New Haven, Conn.

U.S. District Judge Janet Bond Arterton sentenced Lawrence Mark Sullivan, 31, of Wethersfield, Conn., to 63 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release, for robbing the Bangor bank as well as two banks in Connecticut, the U.S. attorney for Connecticut announced Thursday.

Arterton also ordered Sullivan to pay a $500 fine and about $7,600 in restitution to the three banks he robbed in 2008 and 2009.

Other than the Bangor robbery, in which he got away with $1,170, Sullivan admitted to stealing $3,131 on Dec. 8, 2008, from Dime Bank in New London, Conn., and $3,300 on April 3, 2009, from Webster Bank in Wethersfield, Conn. Court documents and statements made in court indicated that Sullivan used threatening notes to rob all three banks.

At the time Sullivan entered his guilty plea to three counts of robbery, said a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Connecticut. Sullivan faced up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for each count.

According to authorities, police arrested Sullivan on April 23 at a Wethersfield, Conn., motel in connection with the April 3 bank robbery in that community.

Sullivan’s apprehension was the result of an investigation that involved the Bangor, New London and Wethersfield police departments and FBI agents from Maine and Connecticut.

An arrest affidavit and synopsis filed in U.S. District Court in Portland and obtained by the Bangor Daily News provided further detail about the Bangor robbery and the events leading to Sullivan’s arrest.

According to an affidavit prepared by an FBI special agent, Sullivan fled with more than $1,000 after passing the bank teller a note that read, “Don’t be stupid do not press button. No die [sic] packs or GPS and You Won’t Get Hurt. $100, $50, $20, $10 NOW!!!”

A witness who was at the bank during the April 20 incident in Bangor told police he had seen the man later identified as Sullivan and provided a description of the suspect and his apparent getaway vehicle, a blue SUV.

Two days later, a Milo woman told police that her daughter had just bought a blue SUV and that the daughter had gone to Connecticut the day of the robbery.

Authorities interviewed the daughter, who said she was at the McDonald’s on Union Street for about an hour along with several others, including a friend and the friend’s boyfriend, “Mark.”

She said “Mark” left the vehicle about the time the robbery took place and that he was wearing clothing that matched the description of the Bangor robbery suspect. When the man returned to the SUV, he was wearing a bandage he hadn’t been wearing before. The bandage reportedly covered a teardrop tattoo, the affidavit said.

The daughter also said she dropped Sullivan and his girlfriend off at a Connecticut motel later that day.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like