May 30, 2020
Mid-Maine Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | 'Porch Prom' | Today's Paper

Fire destroys family’s heat source, garage

PITTSFIELD, Maine — Fire destroyed the primary heat source for the Troy Lord family on Tuesday, but their home and barn were not damaged.

A garage that housed an indoor wood-fired boiler and firewood was in flames when firefighters arrived at about 1:17 p.m., said Pittsfield Fire Chief Bernard Williams. The fire was mostly extinguished within about 10 minutes, but firefighters remained on the scene for several hours to ensure that the smoldering firewood did not reignite.

Williams said he had feared that the fire at 59 Hussey Road involved a large barn also owned by Lord, but that was not the case.

“That would have been a totally different story,” said Williams. “A lot of things were in our favor today, including that the wind wasn’t blowing.”

Crews from Canaan and Hartland helped at the scene and Newport firefighters were put on standby at the Pittsfield station. In all, more than 25 firefighters turned out.

Williams said the fire likely started near the wood-fired boiler or electrical circuits in the building. He said there was nothing suspicious and that the family has a secondary heat source.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like