May 27, 2020
Mid-Maine Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Homelessness | Today's Paper

St. Albans chimney fire results in damage

ST. ALBANS, Maine — A home at 42 Webb Ridge Road in St. Albans was saved Sunday morning after firefighters responded to the report of a chimney fire.

St. Albans Fire Chief Brian Crocker said the fire likely had been burning inside the chimney for a period of time before the homeowner, Milton Small, realized there was a problem.

The fire damaged a ceiling near the chimney and firefighters had to cut a vent hole in the roof, but the damage otherwise was confined to some water damage.

Firefighters from St. Albans, Hartland and Pittsfield were called to the scene at 7:15 a.m. and had cleared it by about 8:45 a.m., according to dispatcher logs from the Somerset County Communications Center.

Crocker said he didn’t know what circumstances led to Sunday morning’s fire, but reminded homeowners that chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year and perhaps more often in homes where green wood is being burned.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like