May 27, 2020
Obituaries Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Homelessness | Today's Paper


Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN

CAMPERDOWN, Nova Scotia – After a valiant 14-year battle, Col. Charles R. Larouche succumbed to Parkinson’s disease Feb. 1, 2010, at his home. He was born Dec. 27, 1919, in Old Town, a son of Jean Charles Larouche and Leontine (St. Pierre) Larouche. After graduating from Milo High School in 1938, he won a tuition scholarship in a public speaking contest to Staley College of the Spoken Word, Brookline, Mass., where he attended from 1940 to 1942. The morning after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, he volunteered for enlistment in the U.S. Marine Corps. In the face of intense enemy fire, Charles Larouche fought in the infantry in the South Pacific battles for Guadalcanal, Tarawa, where he was wounded, Saipan and Tinian. In officer candidate school he marched in President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s funeral procession and burial. The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki probably saved his life, because he was slated as an infantry second lieutenant to invade Japan. On the GI Bill, he graduated from Suffolk Law School summa cum laude in 1948, and was one of the 33 percent who passed the Massachusetts Bar Exam. On active commission Capt. Larouche served during the Korean War in Japan as defense and then prosecution trial counsel in General Courts Marshal, 1953 to 1954. In 1955 he briefed and argued cases on appeal to the U.S. Court of Military Appeals. In 1958, as a major, he executed six amphibious assault exercises jointly with the Italian Army, and British and Spanish Marines in the Mediterranean. In 1962 Charles taught naval law at the U.S. Naval Justice School, Newport, R.I. In 1964 he went to Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va., and acted as legislative attorney in the Pentagon in 1965. Requesting assignment in Vietnam, Lt. Col. Larouche set up a legal office in Red Beach, Da Nang, under primitive conditions, 1966 to 1967. Back in Washington he became director of the Appellate Division, Office of Judge Advocate General, directing 12 lawyers briefing and arguing court martial cases on appeal before the U.S. Court of Military Appeals. Col. Larouche was appointed appellate military judge on the U.S. Navy Court of Military Review and so served until his retirement in 1970. Retired from the U.S. Marine Corps after 18 years as a commissioned officer, he served as one of the 13 assistant attorneys general for the state of Maine. He achieved a highly successful settlement for the state of Maine in the U.S. Supreme Court over the fishermen’s boundary waters dispute between Maine and New Hampshire. He also won a landmark decision in the Maine and U.S. supreme courts, resulting in the national Elks and Moose organizations, repealing racial and religious discrimination by-laws. In 1975 Charles retired to Nova Scotia to do “full time fishing and hunting.” With the enthusiastic assistance of his five Labs and many beagles, Obedience Trial and Field Trial Champions he trained, he hunted deer, rabbits, all game birds and waterfowl. His beloved black Lab, Otello, was the first dog from Atlantic Canada to win the three titles of Canadian Field Trial Champion and Amateur Field Trial Champion and U.S. Field Champion. Charles played the leading role in Voltaire’s Imaginary Invalid at South Shore Playhouse Theater. Col. Charles R. Larouche was awarded the following medals: Purple Heart, U.S. Navy Commendation with Combat V, U.S. Navy Commendation with Gold Star, Presidential Unit Citations with one star, Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign, Asiatic Pacific Campaign with four stars, Victory World War II, Korean Service, United Nations Service, Vietnam Service with two stars, Vietnam Campaign with Device, MUC of Gallantry Cross with Fern and Palm, U.S. Navy Unit Commendation and Letter of Commendation. He was a member of the bar of the following courts: Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Federal District Court of Massachusetts, U.S. Court of Appeals, U.S. Court of Military Appeals, U.S. Supreme Court, and Supreme Judicial Court of Maine. He was active in the Lunenburg County SPCA, and Lapland and District Fire Department. He is the last remaining brother of five brothers and one sister. His brothers, Jean “Roland” died Dec. 17, 2004, at age 97; Maurice “Eddie” died May 22, 2006, at age 91; Virgil V. died Aug. 13, 2002; and his twin, Oliver S. died April 12, 1996; and one sister, Olive died in 1918 during the influenza epidemic. Charles’ son, Jeffrey C. died April 7, 1984, at age 29; and son-in-law, Constantine N. Sgouros died July 12, 2009, at age 55. He is survived by his wife of 34 years, Marjorie (Hickman) Larouche; his former wife of 20 years, Ann (Kalafatas) Larouche; two daughters, Roxane M. Larouche, nurse practitioner, and Dr. Stephanie J. (Larouche) Sgouros; two grandchildren, Angelica and Rebecca Sgouros; son-in-law, Richard J. Albano; and numerous members of the Hickman family. In accordance with his wishes, Charles will be cremated. A funeral service was held 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5, at Bridgewater Baptist Church, King Street, Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, with a reception after at Hebbs Cross Fire Hall, Hebbs Cross. Later in the spring a memorial service will be held at “Twin’s Nest” on Hirundo Wildlife Refuge, West Old Town. Donations may be made to Parkinson Society Maritime Region at, National Parkinson Foundation at, SPCA and Ducks Unlimited. Private messages of condolence may be sent to the family by visiting

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like