May 28, 2020
Midcoast Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Jail Inmates | Today's Paper

Police say teenager was beaten, kidnapped

ROCKLAND, Maine — Two women accused of kidnapping and beating an 18-year-old woman are being held at Knox County Jail.

Felicity Butler, 31, of Rockland was arrested Feb. 1 and charged with kidnapping and assault. Jessica Gagnon, 27, of Thomaston was arrested Jan. 26 and charged with kidnapping, terrorizing and assault. Their cash bails have been set for $10,000 each. Both Gagnon and Butler have made their initial appearances in Knox County Superior Court. Gagnon’s status conference on her case is set for March 24; Butler’s is scheduled for April 28.

Police said more arrests are expected in the case.

Rockland police Detective Russell Thompson interviewed the 18-year-old female victim and witnesses, according to a police report filed in Knox County Superior Court. His report indicated the victim was invited for drinks at a Brewster Street apartment in Rockland at 8 p.m. Dec. 5. The victim’s boyfriend, who Thompson interviewed, advised her not to go because the host was good friends with Gagnon, who had previously threatened the teenager.

The police report said the woman took a cab to the Rockland apartment. Once she arrived, Gagnon and Butler allegedly came out of a bathroom and attacked her.

Gagnon grabbed the teen by her hair and dragged her while Butler pushed her out of the apartment, the report said. Gagnon allegedly punched the woman while dragging her into the yard, down the street and into Gagnon’s car. According to the victim’s boyfriend, who was at the scene, she appeared to have been knocked out, reports state.

The victim then was driven to Gagnon’s Thomaston apartment at 313 Main St., according to witnesses. A witness who was in the car told police that Gagnon “was beating the crap out of [the victim]” and making the victim “call herself worthless.” The same witness said the victim cried and begged for the beating to stop, according to police reports.

The victim’s boyfriend called police at 9:25 p.m. Dec. 5 and Thompson arrived at the Thomaston apartment 40 minutes later.

According to the probable cause report, Thompson and other responding officers noticed Gagnon’s car in the lot and at least four sets of footprints in the snow.

Police yelled through the door of Gagnon’s apartment that they were looking for the victim and said they wanted to make sure she was safe and not being held against her will.

According to the police report, Thompson got a call from the victim four minutes later through the dispatch center. The victim told Thompson that she was fine and did not want any help. Thompson wrote that she had a shaky voice. When he asked her if she was in Gagnon’s apartment, he heard another voice in the background tell her to hang up.

Police then entered the apartment because they feared the victim needed medical attention. Police found Gagnon and the victim inside, according to the police report. The teenager had bruising around both of her eyes and around her right ear and a cut under her right eye, according to the police report.

Thompson brought the victim to the Rockland Police Department and interviewed her. The victim told police it was impossible to leave because the two women were guarding her and that the women told her she would be able to leave the apartment once her face healed.

The victim said Gagnon took her phone and did not let her speak to anyone.

One witness, who was in the apartment, said the teenager had mouthed the word “help” to him. The witness, a 39-year-old man, said he was afraid Gagnon and one of her male friends would come after him if he helped the victim. Other witnesses listed similar reasons for not leaving or calling the police.

Butler, previously known as Felicity Hall, has been convicted of several crimes in the past few years: negotiating a worthless instrument, disorderly conduct, sale and use of drug paraphernalia, terrorizing, driving while under influence of intoxicants, and operating a motor vehicle after license suspension.

Gagnon has been convicted of theft, criminal trespass, and violating a protection from harassment order.

In connection with this case, each woman was charged with Class A kidnapping and Class D assault. Gagnon also was charged with Class D terrorizing.

Class A felonies are punishable by up to 30 years in prison and up to a $50,000 fine. Class D convictions are punishable by less than a year in prison and up to a $2,000 fine.

Gagnon’s court-appointed attorney, Jeremy Pratt of Camden, could not be reached for comment Thursday. There was no information available Thursday on whether Butler has an attorney.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like