June 25, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Warden helps man who got lost walking to camp in Barnard

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff

BARNARD, Maine — A local man who was having trouble walking to his camp on New Year’s Eve received assistance from a game warden.

The 42-year-old man had been dropped off by a friend between 5 and 5:30 p.m. and planned to walk a mile to his camp in Barnard, but he apparently became disoriented, according to Game Warden Jeremy Kemp.

A woman called the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Department about 9:30 p.m. to report that the man was on foot and having trouble finding his camp, according to the Sheriff’s Department.

Kemp, who went to the scene, said the woman had talked with the man at about 7:30 p.m. and learned he was about halfway to the camp.

“She had some concerns that he was having trouble getting in there,” Kemp said Friday.

The woman called the man a few more times between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. and found his situation was worsening, Kemp said. In her last phone call, the woman said the man didn’t know exactly where he was and was having trouble getting to the camp. When the woman called him again and he didn’t answer, she called police.

When Kemp failed to reach the man by telephone, he went to Barnard at about 11 p.m. and took a snowmobile in on the camp road.

At about the same time, the woman called Kemp and told him the man still hadn’t reached the camp and that he had told her he had passed out for a while in the snow.

“I went in and found him laying in the snow; his dog was with him,” Kemp said. The man wasn’t shivering but he was fairly intoxicated, he said. The man declined to ride the snowmobile with the warden to the camp, so Kemp followed him to make sure he arrived safely.

Investigator Dave Wilson of the Sheriff’s Department also went to the scene in the event Kemp needed assistance.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like