GREENBUSH, Maine — Resident Robbie Nason was driving up Route 2 toward his home with his daughter in the passenger seat on Wednesday evening when the duo drove by a yellow farmhouse and “something just didn’t look right.”
“You could see smoke coming out of the chimney, but around all the eaves of the house there was smoke coming out of them,” Nason said. “I walked up to the door and you could feel the heat. If you looked in the house you could see the flames.”
Another couple that stopped at the house, located at 657 Main Road, also known as Route 2, called emergency 911 at 5:20 p.m. and Nason called the fire station.
While standing in the driveway, “The back window blew out and it [the fire] got air and got going,” he said.
The water used to fight the blaze came from the Penobscot River, which was located across the road, Greenbush Fire Chief Donald Burr said on Thursday. Route 2 was closed to traffic for about 5 hours, he said.
“We inconvenienced a whole pile of people,” he said. “Unfortunately, there wasn’t a better solution. We didn’t reopen the road until around 10:30 p.m. We want people to know, we appreciate their patience.”
Deputies from Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department set up roadblocks, and Maine Department of Transportation crews laid down salt to ensure firefighters could walk safely around the area, Burr said.
The house sustained considerable damage. No one was injured. The owners, who were not home at the time the fire was discovered, were not identified. Two dogs were rescued.Three cats died, according to firefighters.