May 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Rams rally to tie rival Witches


BANGOR, Maine — Even thought it was a 5-5 overtime tie, the Bangor High School Rams certainly left Sawyer Arena happier than their archrival Brewer High School Witches.

The Class A Rams overcame a pair of three-goal deficits to tie it on senior left wing Nate Lewis’ goal with 35.8 seconds remaining in regulation.

The Rams then had to kill a penalty in overtime to preserve it.

Bangor is now 2-3-1 while Class B Brewer is 4-1-1.

“Actually, from our point of view, we consider this a win,” said sophomore center Nic Cota, whose goal cut the deficit to 5-4 with 6:10 left. “We came back with heart and gave everything we had to try to win this game. We put up our best effort after the first period.”

Brewer led 3-0 after the first period on a goal by Jacob Chapman and two by senior defenseman Chris Lopez.

The Witches had a golden opportunity to expand the lead when Bangor was assessed two minor penalties at the same time with 37 seconds left in the first period.

But the Witches failed to capitalize.

Joey Seccareccia got one back for Bangor at the 6:21 mark o the second period, but Tyler White answered just 13 seconds later.

Power-play goals 1:59 apart by Nick George and Phil Frost sliced the lead to 4-3 later in the middle period.

Lucas Lamond gave the Witches some breathing room 3:15 into the third period.

But Cota converted off a two-on-one with Frost 5:35 later.

Frost had the puck near the right wing boards and slid it back across to the unattended Cota in the middle of the slot.

“That was a great assist from Phil Frost. I went low glove side,” said Cota.

“I came out to challenge a little bit, but it snuck by me low, glove side. It went over my pad and under my glove,” said Brewer goalie Eric White.

Bangor pulled goalie Chris Howat in favor of the extra attacker with just over a minute remaining and it paid off when Seccareccia took an sharp-angled shot from the outer half of the left circle and Lewis swatted home the rebound.

“I saw the puck barely sticking out. [White] had his stick on top of it a little bit and I slashed at it and it went right between his legs and in,” said Lewis.

“I thought I had it covered,” said White. “I had put my glove over the puck, but he hit it and it ended up in the net.”

Howat, who relieved Zach Hamilton after Brewer’s third goal, finished with 25 saves while allowing two goals.

White wound up with 21 saves.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like