April 25, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | George H.W. Bush | Litchfield Homicide | Schoolhouse Fire

Bail set in pipe bomb case

By Walter Griffin

WASHINGTON, Maine — A local man who was charged with threatening to blow up his mother and himself with a pipe bomb during an altercation at his Medeika Lane home on Friday night is being held in Knox County Jail with bail set Monday at $20,000 cash.

Robert Medeika, 36, was arrested Saturday afternoon by the Knox County Sheriff’s Department. The arrest came after sheriff’s deputies, state troopers and the Maine State Police tactical team and bomb squad located him in the home he shares with his mother. He was charged with attempted extortion with a dangerous weapon and taken to the Knox County Jail.

Medeika appeared in 6th District Court in Rockland on Monday afternoon where bail was set at $20,000 cash. Bail conditions require that he have no contact with the victim and that he not possess firearms or explosives.

The charge stems from an incident at the house that began Friday night when Medeika got into an argument with his mother and then placed what appeared to be a pipe bomb on a table inside the house, according to police.

The woman fled the home and called the Sheriff’s Department at 1:26 a.m. Saturday, according to dispatch records. The bomb has not been found.

“The arrest took place after hours of investigation, planning and preparation,” Sheriff Donna Dennison said Monday. “The explosive device was described as large enough to endanger Medeika and anyone located within several yards of Medeika.”

Dennison said the department attempted to contact Medeika throughout the early morning hours Saturday before calling in the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

Sheriff’s deputies, fire marshal investigators and members of the state police bomb team were called in to coordinate a response to the potential threat. Medeika could not be located during the night, and authorities obtained a search warrant Saturday. He was arrested at his home about 2:30 p.m. and offered no resistance.

The homemade explosive device could not be located, but investigators did search the house for any related items and were aided in that search by a state police bomb detection dog.

Because of the nature of the call, all agencies coordinated the arrest to prevent injuries to police and the public, Dennison said.

The incident remains under investigation.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like