June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Water district fixes main leak in downtown building

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Bangor Water District employees worked late into Monday night to locate and repair a second water main leak affecting the downtown building that houses Epic Sports and the headquarters of the University of Maine System.

The first water main break was discovered about 2 p.m. on Sunday when water began pouring into the basement of the building at the corner of Hammond and Central streets, according to Epic Sports owner Brad Ryder.

Because of the flooding, water and electricity supplies to the building were shut off Sunday. Though power was restored to the building on Monday, water service remained off, except for a brief period Monday afternoon.

After the first main break was repaired, water district workers found another, smaller break, District Engineer Weston Haskell said Monday.

That repair was completed by about 9 p.m., he said, and water service has been restored.

Now that the water is running again, employees of the University of Maine System are slated to return to their offices today.

UMS, which employs about 100 people on the building’s upper levels, remained closed Monday because of the lack of water, spokesman John Diamond said Monday.

Because of the basement flooding, the downtown sporting goods store, normally open until 5 p.m. on Sundays, was forced to close three hours earlier than usual, Ryder said. He said that while the store opened an hour and a half later than usual on Monday, business was back to normal by mid-morning.

Ryder said that despite some lost Sunday sales, none of the sporting goods merchandise was affected.

Ryder said Monday that while summer Sunday afternoons typically are busy at the store, customers “were very understanding” when told the store was closed.

“The water district and the fire department did a great job [preventing worse damage]. They got somebody down here within about 10 minutes,” he said.

Diamond said that the system’s computers and other equipment escaped damage, but documents and files stored in the building’s basement likely were ruined.

He said, however, that he believed the system had digital copies of all or most of them.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like