Building lost in Cherryfield fire, businesses saved

Posted June 13, 2009, at 3:07 p.m.

CHERRYFIELD, Maine — A building that housed a guide business was destroyed by fire Friday afternoon, but firefighters were able to save an attached garage that contained taxidermy equipment and specimens.

The fire at Stillwater Road off Route 193 was called in at 2:55 p.m., according to Cherryfield Fire Chief Charles Curtis Jr. The fire had been burning for some time before it was reported, Curtis said. It was an overcast day and no one noticed the smoke, he said.

“The building was fully involved when the fire department got there,” he said. “From one end of the house to the other. We couldn’t get inside.”

It took firefighters about an hour to get the blaze under control. Although the building, which is owned by Chris Dorr, was destroyed by the blaze, the firefighters were able to save the attached garage.

“We were able to cut it off, “ Curtis said. “He runs a taxidermy business in there. We were able to save a lot of the stuff he was working on.”

Because of the extensive damage to the building, Curtis said, it was not possible to determine where the fire started or what caused it.

No one was in the building at the time of the fire. The Dorr family lives in their home a short distance from the fire scene. No one was injured in the blaze.

Cherryfield firefighters were assisted at the scene by crews from Milbridge and Steuben.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business