February 25, 2020
Mid-Maine Latest News | Child Welfare System | Bangor Metro | Kevin Hancock | Today's Paper

Cigarette ignites fire at former junkyard in Maine

AUBURN, Maine — A discarded cigarette is cited as the cause of a fire at a former junkyard in Auburn that consumed a pile of tires and several vehicles.

The Sun Journal said the Monday morning fire also caused several gas tanks to explode, sending a plume of thick, black smoke over South Auburn.

Fire officials said John McLean, who bought the property about five years ago, was separating the junk into piles when he tossed a cigarette butt that ignited some leaves and then spread to a tire pile.

Fire departments from Auburn, Minot and New Gloucester were battling the blaze.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like