BANGOR, Maine — Bangor police and the FBI are investigating a robbery Monday afternoon at the TD Banknorth branch at 1067 Union St.

No one was injured in the robbery, which was reported at 1:28 p.m., according to Lt. Tim Reid, head of Bangor Police Department’s detective division.

According to Reid, a white male in his early 20s wearing a purple jacket over a red hooded sweat shirt with the hood pulled up entered the bank and passed a note to a bank employee that included a threat and demanded cash.

After leaving the bank on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash, the suspect reportedly got into the passenger side of a blue SUV parked near the McDonald’s restaurant next door, Reid said. He said it was not clear in which direction the SUV drove off.

Reid said the suspect, who remained at large late Monday night, is believed to be 22 to 26 years old, stands between 5 feet, 4 inches and 5 feet, 8 inches tall and has a thin build. He also said the robber had a bandage under his right eye “that was oozing blood.”

Police also released a still photograph of the suspect taken from a surveillance camera in the bank.

Anyone who can identify the man in the photo or who has information about the incident is asked to contact the Bangor Police Department at 947-7384.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsfree video player

Reid said that in addition to bank employees, there was at least one customer in the bank during the robbery who “got a pretty good look” at the suspect.

Though Reid said the robber claimed to have a weapon, none was produced during the incident.

Though she said she couldn’t comment on the details of Monday’s robbery, TD Banknorth spokesman Jennifer Carlson said bank personnel are provided general and one-on-one training with regard to security procedures.

“The safety of our customers and our employees is of great importance to us. We’re relieved that no one was injured in this incident,” said Carlson, who works out of the bank’s Portland office.

Though the Union Street branch location was temporarily closed after the incident to allow police to process the crime scene, customers continued to turn up in the bank’s parking lot, where they encountered locked doors and a sign that said the bank was temporarily closed.

Carlson said late Monday afternoon that it was not yet clear when the Union Street branch would reopen. She said the police were in the process of conducting interviews and examining the crime scene but that she did not expect the temporary closure to last more than a day or two.

Meanwhile, customers were directed to nearby branches, including two in Bangor located at 79 Exchange St. and 46 Springer Drive.

The robbery remains under investigation.