April 06, 2020
Bangor Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Christopher Cassidy | Today's Paper

Fire causes smoke damage to Carmel house

CARMEL, Maine — A family of six will be out of their house for several days after a basement fire Sunday afternoon caused smoke damage in the rest of the house.

Christina Clark, who lives at 299 Five Road with her husband, Corey, two children and two foster children said she believed the fire may have started near the dryer.

Clark said she had put a load of laundry into the washing machine and another into the dryer, went outside to talk to her husband, went back inside and found the house filled with smoke.

Carmel Fire Chief Mike Azevedo said his department received a call at 12:53 p.m. Sunday to go to the house at the corner of Five and Fuller roads.

Azevedo agreed the fire likely started near the dryer. He said in addition to the damage in the basement and some water damage, the upstairs areas had a lot of smoke damage.

The Clarks are insured.

Azevedo said he called the Red Cross to set up housing for the family.

Emergency crews also were working to secure the house. In addition to Carmel, emergency crews from Etna, Hermon, Levant and Stetson also responded to the call.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like