April 06, 2020
Court News Latest News | Coronavirus | Bangor Metro | Christopher Cassidy | Today's Paper

Paperwork error sets inmate free; man rearrested

LINCOLNVILLE, Maine — A paperwork mix-up that allowed a local man to be released on bail was resolved in a matter of hours after he was rearrested while attempting to contact his brother.

Gregory G. Bussiere, 53, was arrested by police chief Ron Young at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday, a few hours after being bailed out of the Two Bridges Jail in Wiscasset. Young observed Bussiere on the property of his 56-year old brother Stephen, which he was under court order to stay away from.

The brothers had been living together for a time but were ordered to have no contact with each other after they were charged last month with fighting and threatening each other.

Young said the younger Bussiere had been charged with breaking into Wanderbird Cruises in Belfast on March 30 but the paperwork was never delivered to the Wiscasset Jail when he was transferred there from the Waldo County Jail.

Bussiere also was wanted on an outstanding warrant out of Knox County for drug possession that Two Bridges Jail was unaware of, Young said Thursday.

As a result, Bussiere was released on $350 cash bail on charges of domestic violence terrorizing and harassment by telephone stemming from the altercation with his brother.

Young said Bussiere had called a friend from Massachusetts and offered to pay him $500 if he came to the jail and covered his bail. Once free, Bussiere instructed the friend to drive him to his brother’s home in Lincolnville so he could pick up his disability check and repay him.

Young said Bussiere hid in nearby woods while the friend went to the house to collect the check. Once Stephen Bussiere learned what the friend wanted, he advised him that his brother was forbidden by the courts to contact him and called the police. When Young arrived, he observed the Gregory Bussiere on the property and arrested him for violating his conditions of release.

Police became aware of the brothers on Sunday, March 28 when the elder Bussiere was arrested after fighting with his brother. Stephen was charged with domestic assault and released on bail conditions that he have no contact with his brother. Following the assault, Gregory moved to a motel in Northport.

On Monday, March 30, Stephen reported receiving threatening messages from his brother on his cell phone. When Waldo County Deputy Sheriff Glen Graef went to the motel to discuss the matter, he learned that Bussiere had taken a taxi to Belfast.

While in Belfast, Bussiere allegedly broke into the Wanderbird Cruises and the upstairs apartment of the owners. Native artifacts, money, a laptop computer and store merchandise were taken in the break, police said. McFadden said Thursday that the paperwork for the various charges was now in order and that Bussiere was being held on $50,000 single surety bail or $5,000 cash.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like