February 24, 2020
Midcoast Latest News | Child Welfare System | Bangor Metro | Kevin Hancock | Today's Paper

Friends’ effort saves home from burning

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN

SWANVILLE, Maine — The fortuitous arrival of friends from Belfast likely prevented John Hines’ home on Stevens Road from going up in flames Monday afternoon.

Steve Boyle and Rebecca Simpson went to the home to deliver a television, and when they arrived at 1 p.m. and opened the door they were greeted with thick, acrid smoke.

Leaving the TV on the porch, the two entered the home and saw flames rising from the floor near a water tank.

While Simpson called the Fire Department, Boyle crawled across the floor, opened the back door, filled a bucket with water from a pond out back and doused the flames.

“The flames were going right up the wall,” Simpson said. “If we had got there five minutes later this house would be gone.”

Boyle speculated that an electrical cord from the water pump may have shorted out and started the fire.

The Belfast Fire Department arrived about 10 minutes later and made sure the fire was out. The fire was contained to a corner of the building and fans were used to disperse the smoke. There was minor fire and smoke damage, Fire Chief James Richards said.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like