SEARSPORT, Maine — An 80-year-old man and his stepdaughter perished Monday in a house fire that apparently began when a power strip that had clothing piled on top of it overheated, authorities said.
The fire was reported around 6:15 a.m. at the ranch-style home on Porter Street, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.
Firefighters found Eli LaPointe on a bedroom floor and 28-year-old Megan Senter, who was her stepfather’s caregiver, on a living room recliner, the spokesman said. Both were dead at the scene.
McCausland said a team of investigators from the state Fire Marshal’s Office traced the origin of the fire to the power strip.
The home had three smoke detectors, none of which had batteries, he said.
“Both victims were on one end of the building and the fire was at the opposite end,” he said. “With a smoke detector, they would have had at least a chance to get out of there.”
Firefighters from Searsport, Stockton Springs, Belfast, Prospect and Frankfort extinguished the flames within an hour.
Follow this developing story at bangordailynews.com and in tomorrow’s Bangor Daily News.