June 18, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Smoky Lincoln fire confined to basement

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

LINCOLN, Maine — A furnace malfunction that ignited a pile of oily rags was cited as the cause of a fire Monday evening that firefighters managed to contain to the basement.

Though several people were inside the 1½-story house when the fire began, everyone made it out safely, Lincoln fire Chief Phil Dawson said Monday night.

Quick response by fire crews prevented the fire’s spread to other parts of the house, which had some smoke damage and burned electrical wires but no apparent structural damage, Dawson said.

“It’s gonna smell like hell in there for a few days,” Dawson said. Other than that, he said, fire damage appears to be minimal.

According to Dawson, Lincoln firefighters were called to the George Drummond residence at 37 Enfield Road about 7 p.m. by Drummond’s wife, Shawne, who was there with the couple’s two children.

When firefighters arrived, heavy black smoke was pouring out of the basement, Dawson said. After shutting down the electricity, the fire was quickly put out, he said.

Besides helping clear smoke from the house with ventilation fans, firefighters used thermal imaging equipment to make sure that the fire hadn’t spread to any other parts of the house.

Dawson said 19 Lincoln firefighters responded with several pieces of equipment. None was injured.

Though Howland firefighters also were called out, they were released while still en route because the fire was put out so quickly, he said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like