AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — A house fire in Augusta that started in a hot plate is blamed for the death of the 82-year-old woman who lived alone in the dwelling.

Fire officials said Margaret Rivers died Friday of smoke inhalation.

Rivers’ body was found inside the Porter Street home after a neighbor who had come home for lunch reported seeing flames coming out the door.

Firefighters trying to gain access to the home had to push through piles of furniture, shelving and other household items that blocked doors and windows.