SCARBOROUGH – E. Spencer Miller died Aug. 12, 2005, at Piper shores in Scarborough. Mr. Miller was born in Springfield, Vt. in 1908, the son of Edward W. Miller, inventor and machine tool manufacturer and Grace Spencer Miller. Mr. Miller attended Dartmouth College, interrupting his academic education to work as a machinist for Jones and Lamson Co. At Dartmouth he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year and delivered the valedictory address at the graduation of his Class in 1931. In 1934, he graduated from Harvard Law School and engaged in the general practice of law in Lowell, Mass., with the firm of Spalding and Gira. In 1937, Mr. Miller joined the legal staff of the Boston and Maine Railroad and in 1940, became general attorney for the Maine Central Railroad in Portland. In 1946, he became general councel, in 1947, vice president and in 1949, first vice president and director. He succeeded to the presidency of the Maine Central and its subsidiary corporations in 1952, a position he held until Jan. 1, 1978, thus serving longer as a president of a class one railroad than any other. Mr. Miller remained as Chairman of the Board until 1981. For more than 30 years, Mr. Miller successfully resisted take over attempts to combine the Maine Central with less sound properties, which he felt would harm Maine, its industries an the employees of the Road. Other railway activities involved a long term tenure as Director, then Senior Director, of Railway Express, more terms as Director of the association of American Railroads than any other, and then several terms on the eight man National Railroad Labor Conference. In 1970, in collaboration with Alfred Perlman of the Penn Central, he organized and directed the Eastern Railroad Association with membership including all roads north of Virginia and east of the Mississippi. Upon retirement in 1981, he became a consultant for the Maine Central and Ashland Oil. In December of 1977, Mr. Miller was honored by the union employees of the Waterville shops and presented a gold pocket watch ‘in appreciation for his care in finding work to keep the shops operating and busy in good times and bad.’ Mr. Miller believed he was the only railroad president honored by a union in such a way. No thanks meant so much to him as the watch from those he served. Other business affiliations were directorships of Bancroft and Martin, Rolling Mills, Bates Manufacturing, Dragon Cement, First National Bank of Boston, Great Northern Nekoosa, Keyes Fibre, and Maine National Bank. Mr. Miller contributed in the civic fabric of New England as well. He served as director of the Maine Development Credit Corporation throughout its existence, several terms as director of Associated Industries of Maine, several terms as director of both the Portland and Maine Chambers of Commerce. He was a member of the Committee of 100 for the Portland Museum of Art. He represented Maine and New Hampshire for several years on the Alumni Council of Dartmouth, and for 10 years as Overseer of Dartmouth’s Hanover Inn. Mr. Miller was a 33 degree mason, a member of the Cumberland Club, The Portland Country Club, as well as of the Union Club in Boston. Mr. Miller was an avid outdoorsman. He loved his vegetable garden, and until the age of 88 would travel each summer in his pickup truck to Vermont to cut, split and load his firewood for the coming winter. Mr. Miller was devoted to his Red Sox. He witnessed Babe Ruth strike out Ty Cobb in 1919, and of course relished, more than most, their miraculous comeback in 2004. He rarely missed a game. A voracious reader and thinker he was, literally, a walking encyclopedia. Mr. Miller was predeceased by his wife of 56 years, Juanita Fownes of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia; and his son, Edward F. Miller who died in 2003. He is survived by his daughter, Anne Emmet of Oldwick, N.J.; son, Charles Miller of Thetford Center, Vt.; and a sister, Marilynn of Toledo, Ohio. Mr. Miller was buried Aug. 29, 2005, in Springfield, Vt., at the Summer Street Cemetery. His funeral will be held 2 p.m. Sept. 29, at the State Street Congregational Church, Portland.