HOULTON, Maine — Two teenagers who allegedly stole a car in Augusta and fled the U.S.-Canadian border crossing in Houlton at 50 mph have been summoned on multiple charges, police said Wednesday.

Maine State Police Sgt. Julie Bergan said the incident occurred Monday.

A 16-year-old boy from Augusta was driving a black Jeep Cherokee and was accompanied by a 13-year-old girl from South Gardiner.

The vehicle had been stolen from the boy’s mother in Augusta, Bergan said The 16-year-old was driving despite having a suspended license.

When the two attempted to enter New Brunswick at Houlton, Canadian officials referred them for secondary inspection.

But the boy turned the vehicle around and did not stop at the adjacent U.S. border station. Bergan said the two went through the U.S. inspection lane at an estimated 50 mph.

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer contacted the U.S. Border Patrol to locate the vehicle, which eventually was found at an Irving gas station in the Sherman area.

Both teens were taken back to the port of entry and Maine State Police were contacted.

Trooper Dennis Quint contacted juvenile corrections authorities and discovered that the girl was listed as a missing person from the Gardiner area and that the boy had been on a weekend release from an juvenile intake center when he stole the vehicle.

Bergan said Quint also learned the Augusta Police Department had received a report that the boy also had stolen $500 from his parents. Police have since recovered $213 of the stolen cash.

The boy was issued juvenile summonses for driving to endanger and operating after suspension. He will answer to those charges in Houlton District Court. He was summoned to Augusta District Court on a charge of unauthorized use of property and is facing additional theft charges for the stolen money, according to Bergan.

He also faces federal charges for failing to submit to inspection when coming back into the U.S.

The girl was summoned for her part in the motor vehicle theft.

Both teens were taken to the Aroostook County Jail by order of the juvenile intake officer and were immediately transferred to Augusta.