EAST MILLINOCKET, Maine – It looks like there will be a Centennial Plus Two next year, the chairman of the Board of Selectmen said Thursday.

With several thousand people having come to town for the Centennial Plus One celebration, which ended earlier this month, merchants and officials agreed that a similar celebration, though perhaps more ambitious, should occur next year, Mark Scally said.

“The merchants seemed to like it,” Scally said.

Fireworks, a golf tournament in Millinocket, concerts, dinners, children’ s games, a parade and a downtown street dance were among Centennial Plus One’ s offerings over the four days it ran.

Eight large tents from the Katahdin Area Chamber of Commerce, Taylor Rental Co. of Brewer and Stearns Lumber Co. of Millinocket were installed at Opal Myrick Park as part of the event. Dozens of craftspeople and vendors filled the park with their wares.

At $15,000, which included $5,000 left from last year, Centennial Plus One cost half of what the centennial cost, Scally said. The $30,000 event was buoyed, however, by a private anonymous contribution of $10,000, he said.

The original centennial was dubbed the largest event in town history, given that it doubled the town’ s population of about 1,500.

Residents Kelly Willigar and Debbie Grass led a group of more than 50 volunteers working on the Centennial Plus One — plus town firefighters and Recreation and Public Works department workers — in organizing and running the centennial, working for more than a year to organize it.

Neither immediately returned telephone calls Friday.