Restoring Portland’s century-old, 50-ton Kotzschmar Organ
By Seth Koenig, BDN Staff
John Bishop, chairman of the Friends of the Kotzschmar Organ's organ committee, describes how his organization decided to undergo a $2.5 million renovation of the massive musical instrument and the scope of the project. The restoration of the century-old organ began nearly a year ago, and continues on at this time. The organ was donated to the City of Portland in 1912 by the publishing magnate Cyrus H.K. Curtis and dedicated to his friend and namesake Hermann Kotzschmar, a German immigrant who settled in Portland in the mid 1900s. When installed, the organ was the largest concert organ in the western hemisphere.
Posted Sept. 20, 2013, at 5:57 p.m.