BANGOR, Maine — The search for a missing Bangor man will resume on Saturday as members of the Down East Emergency Medicine Institute take to the ground and sky.
At the request of the Bangor Police Department, ground search teams and an airplane equipped with a high-resolution imaging system on Friday searched the stretch of river that runs from Bangor to Bucksport looking for traces of Cecil Worster, 46, who has not been seen or heard from since Nov. 21.
Richard Bowie, DEEMI’s director of operations, asked that residents who live along the river keep an eye out for any signs of the missing man.
“If you live along the river, please go into your backyard and take a look out,” he said.
“The problem is access. You’re working a river and everybody’s got their boats out [for the winter]. Nobody expects something like this to happen suddenly. There’s no 24-7 boats left out in the river,” he said.
Bowie said that about a dozen volunteers were out looking for Worster on Friday but that the number of searchers is expected to grow over the weekend as more members become available to assist in the effort.
In addition, Maine Marine Patrol has been contacted and will be patrolling the river as well, Bowie said.
Worster was reported missing on Nov. 22 by his family members, who are concerned because this is not normal behavior for him, Bangor police Sgt. Catherine Rumsey said earlier this week.
Worster lives on Main Street in Bangor near the Hampden town line and is believed to have left his home on foot.
Worster is 5 feet, 8 inches tall, weighs 180 pounds and has brown hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue Patriots wind pants, an olive-colored long-sleeve T-shirt, a black stocking cap, white sneakers and a wooden beaded necklace.
Rumsey said authorities are continuing to search for Worster.
Anyone who has seen him or knows where he may be should call Detective Myron Warner at 947-7384, ext. 5740, or the department’s anonymous tip line, which can be accessed by pressing ext. 6.