Bangor survives Brewer rally to post 6-4 hockey victory

Posted Dec. 17, 2013, at 10:24 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — After building a 4-0 lead during a dominant first-period performance Tuesday night, it seemed like the only thing in question for the Bangor High School hockey team was the final margin of victory against archrival Brewer at Sawyer Arena.

But the Rams (2-1) needed a goal from senior center Cam Dickson with 2:29 remaining to survive a furious Brewer rally and post a 6-4 victory.

Dickson’s goal was his second of the game. His first one, coming at the 6:23 mark of the second period, extended the Rams’ lead to 5-0.

But late second-period goals by Gehrig White and Dylan Severance and a pair of third-period goals by Gabe Valley pulled the resilient Witches within 5-4.

The Witches (2-1) had momentum and were pressing for an equalizer when the Rams generated a 3-on-2 rush with Dickson carrying the puck.

He cut from left to right across the high slot and beat Brewer goalie Tyler Friel with a low wrist shot that glanced in off the post to the goalie’s right.

Dickson said it wasn’t meant to be a shot.

“I saw Owen Trundy going to the back post so I threw it there. It just happened to go in,” said Dickson.

“It was a hard shot and I didn’t see it until it hit the post and went in,” said Friel, who was screened by one of his defensemen.

“Bangor needed that goal. It put us over the edge,” said Brewer coach Dave Shedd. “We were fatigued.”

Junior center Jordan Tracy figured in Bangor’s first three goals, scoring two and assisting on linemate Nick Graham’s goal, before Trundy closed out the first-period scoring with 41 seconds remaining.

“We came out flat in a game against Edward Little last week so [a strong start] was a big point [of emphasis] tonight,” said Tracy, who opened the scoring by winning the puck along the left wing boards, taking a few strides and firing a snap shot past Friel’s glove into the far corner.

Graham made it 2-0 by jamming a Tracy rebound past Friel from the edge of the crease.

Ryan Gagne, the third member of Tracy’s line, fed Tracy for his second goal.

That line cycled the puck effectively before Gagne’s precise cross-ice pass was tapped into the empty net by Tracy.

Trundy made it 4-0 by stealing the puck and wristing a 20-footer past Friel from the slot.

Dickson’s second-period goal resulted from a pretty passing sequence involving Kyle Farley, Trundy and Jake Fournier. Fournier eventually slid the puck across to Dickson and he beat the helpless Friel from the right circle.

But Friel buckled down after that, making several great saves, to help his Witches climb back into it.

White scored on a 5-on-3 with 3:11 left in the second period as he swatted home a rebound from a multiple-shot flurry.

Severance scored 2:04 later when he wheeled out of the corner during an extended forecheck and beat Bangor freshman goalie Derek Fournier with an angled wrist shot.

The energetic Gabe Valley converted a Severance drop pass 3:49 into the third period and scored again while shorthanded with 5:46 left as he chased down a loose puck and fired a wrister into the short side corner in a 1-on-1.

“We came out with a lot of motivation in the third period,” said Valley. “We broke down mentally and physically in the first period.”

“We relaxed after the first period,” said Dickson. “We lost our momentum.”

Fournier finished with 14 saves while Friel made 36.

“We showed a lot of heart coming back,” said Shedd.


View stories by school