FORT KENT, Maine — The Town of Fort Kent recently received an $8,400 grant from the Community Building Grant Program of the Maine Community Foundation to support the completion of a Historical Mural of a Ferry Crossing between Fort Kent and Clair, New Brunswick that was used in the early 1900’s. As part of a larger project, the mural was painted on the wall of the Ambulance Service Building, which is located at the intersection of East Main Street and the new entrance to Riverside Park.
This grant greatly assisted the Town in contracting to have the wall prepared for the project and a local artist paint the mural. As a result of the Historical Mural, there has been a great deal of excitement in regards to both the mural depiction and the work of the artist.
This Historical Mural project was planned and organized in conjunction with the Fort Kent Historical Society, who served as historical consultants and provided pictures and information to ensure the mural was historically accurate. The Town of Fort Kent was established in 1869 and the Fort Kent Historical Society was founded in 1925. Both organizations are committed to preserving the history and culture of the Fort Kent region.
With offices in Ellsworth and Portland, the Maine Community Foundation works with donors and other partners to improve the quality of life for all Maine people. To learn more about the foundation, visit www.mainecf.org.