PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — Presque Isle CareerCenter announces January programming for job seekers and those who are considering training to upgrade their skills to increase their employability.
“Our partnerships between businesses and CareerCenters are helpful for both jobseekers and the employer,” said Gov. Paul R. LePage, in a government press release. “CareerCenter staff can help people plan for a new career, connect with today’s job search tools and meet hiring decision-makers.”
Job seekers and businesses interested in connecting with one another can also “like” the CareerCenter on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Presque-Isle-CareerCenter/ . Workshops and events are held at the CareerCenter unless otherwise noted. Maine Veterans receive priority of service in all CareerCenter programs.
- Creating Winning Resumes**-Workshops offered Jan. 8, 15, 22 and 29; 9 a.m. to noon. Learn how to create a professional resume and walk out the door with one in hand after this three-hour workshop.
- Computer Boot Camp**- Workshops offered Jan. 10 and 31, 9 a.m. Do you find it difficult to apply for jobs using computers? Are you a beginner computer user? Come in to learn the basic steps of using a computer in a no-pressure atmosphere. You must pre-register to ensure there will be a computer available for your use. Call 760-6300 and ask for Pete or Jenna.
- Gateways to Employment**-Workshops offered in two locations: Houlton on Jan. 21 at 9 a.m. and in Presque Isle on Jan. 24 at 9 a.m. Want to jump start your job search? Learn new strategies, proper interviewing skills and the correct way to fill out a job application.
- Financial Aid**- Jan. 15, 22 and 29, 9 a.m. to noon. Get assistance with college planning and financial aid. Please pre-register at 800-281-3703 or http://meoc.maine.edu .
- Job Search Tips for People with a Criminal History**- Workshops offered Jan. 17 at 9 a.m. Do you have a criminal background? Are you having trouble finding work? This workshop will give job search tips, suggestions on how to respond to those hard-to-answer questions and identify where best to seek employment that will lead to a successful job search.
CareerCenters, part of the Maine Department of Labor, offer a variety of services to help people find employment or upgrade skills. Each center provides several public-access computer workstations with Microsoft Office software, resume writing and cover letter software, Internet access and O’Net software for skills assessment. All CareerCenter services are free of charge.
Call (207) 760-6300 or 1-800-635-0357 (TTY users call Maine Relay 711) for additional information and to register for workshops held at the CareerCenter. The CareerCenter, located at 66 Spruce Street in Presque Isle, is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also find more information at the CareerCenter website, http://www.mainecareercenter.com .