ORONO, Maine — The town of Orono will celebrate the start of the school year with a Village Festival Saturday, Sept. 8. The event will include a traditional pancake breakfast, music, food, craft vendors and children’s games, a 5K/1 Mile road race and a contra dance.
The schedule is:
* Pancake breakfast from 7:30-9 a.m. at the Orono Fire Station. Sponsored by the Daughters of Isabella. $5, $11 family.
* Registration for the 1 Mile Fun Run and the 5K will begin at 8 a.m. behind the fire station. The Fun Run starts at 9 a.m., the Road Race starts at 9:45 a.m. The “Pie in the Sky” Race is sponsored by Orono X-Country Ski Club with proceeds benefiting the club’s youth program.
* Mill Street will be closed to vehicular traffic and opens at 9 a.m. to pedestrian
traffic with more than 30 crafts booths, food vendors and informational booths lining the street. The Chili Challenge will start at 11a.m.
* The Mill Street stage will open at 10 a.m. with the sounds of the Velma, followed by Park Street Pickers at 11a.m. and Leslie and Larry Latour at noon. Souder and Williams will take the state at 1 p.m. and The Intruders will perform at 2 p.m.
* The children’s game area, located off Mill Street, will open at 11 a.m. The children’s area will close at 2 p.m. and the downtown vendors and close at 3 p.m.
* Activities move to the University Inn with a wing eating contest at 4 p.m. sponsored by the Roost and karaoke with Marissa at 5 p.m. and sound Paradigm Blues at 6 p.m. Also the University Inn will sponsor a Beer Garden 5-7 p.m.
For, information contact the Orono Parks and Recreation Department at 207-866-5065 or visit www.orono.org to access the schedule of events.