PORTLAND, Maine — More than 100 Maine Catholics will assemble on Thursday, Jan. 24, and begin their journey to Washington, D.C., to participate in the 2013 March for Life, which is set for Friday afternoon following a noon rally on the National Mall.
The March for Life is an annual pro-life rally protesting abortion on or around the anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision that legalized abortion in the case Roe v. Wade. This year’s March was scheduled for Friday, Jan. 25, to accommodate the Presidential Inauguration, and is expected to draw a record-crowd of nearly 500,000 people.
Several members of Congress are expected to join the ranks as the March for Life concludes on the steps of the Supreme Court, where the Roe v. Wade ruling was delivered 40 years ago.
The Maine delegation will gather at several departure points on the morning of Thursday, Jan 24:
- Bangor: 5 a.m. St. Mary’s Parish, 768 Ohio St.
- Augusta: 6:15 a.m. St. Augustine Church, 24 Washington St.
- Lewiston: 7:15 a.m. Holy Cross Church, 16 St. Croix St.
- Portland: 8 a.m. St. Pius Church, 492 Ocean Ave.
- Biddeford: 8:30 a.m. St. Joseph Church.