STATEWIDE, Maine — Community Supporting Arts has as its goal to promote local art and local food by partnering 14 artists with 13 farms in and around central Maine through the 2012 growing season. The artists have been creating art inspired by farmers’ lives, work, landscapes, challenges and ideals since early spring. Follow the artists’ progress by visiting the project blog site at csaart.org. View the project slide show at http://www.harlowgallery.org/wordpress1/?p=5873
The project is sponsored by the Harlow Gallery in Hallowell and the Kennebec Valley Art Association in partnership with the Kennebec Local Food Initiative based in Gardiner.
Artists taking part in the project are Kate Barnes of Oakland is partnered with Grassland Organic Farm in Skowhegan; Susan Bickford of Newcastle and Kelsey Kobik of Portland with Goranson Farm in Dresden and Dig Deep Farm; Aleana Chaplin of Gardiner with Winterberry Farm in Belgrade; Kim Christensen of Albion and Jamie Ribisi-Braley of Manchester with Wholesome Holmstead in Winthrop; Matt Demers of Gardiner with SNAFU Acres Farm in Monmouth; Kerstin Engman of Liberty with Treble Ridge Farm in Whitefield; Tyler Gulden of Walpole with Morning Dew Farm in Newcastle; Christine Higgins of Readfield with Annabessacook Farm in Winthrop; Scott Minzy of Pittston with Long Meadow Farm in West Gardiner;
Maina Handmaker of Brunswick with Milkweed Farm in Brunswick; Petrea Noyes of Lincolnville with Crescent Run Farm in Bremen; and Emily Trenholm of Portland with Fresh Start Farms in Lisbon.
Artwork exhibit schedule is:
* Harlow Gallery in Hallowell, Oct. 5-27. Opening reception, 5-8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5.
* Common Street Arts in Waterville, November 3-30. Opening reception, 5-8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3.
* Sheepscot General in Whitefield, Nov. 9-Dec. 1. Opening reception, 5-8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 9.
* Savory Maine Dining & Provisions in Damariscotta, Nov. 13–Feb. 5, 2013. Opening reception, 3-5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16.
* Maine Farmland Trust Gallery in Belfast, Jan. 4 through February. Opening reception, 5-8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 4.
* Art Gallery at Frontier in Brunswick, Jan. 11-Feb. 24. Opening reception, 5-8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 11.
Community Supporting Arts will have a booth in the exhibition hall at the Common Ground Fair Sept. 21-23.
For information, go to www.harlowgallery.org.