Press Release

LePage, commissioner highlight new laws to make occupational licensing easier for veterans

AUGUSTA, Maine — In advance of Veterans Day, Gov. Paul R. LePage and Commissioner Anne Head are highlighting an initiative at the Department of Professional and Financial Regulation to make occupational licensing in several professions quicker and easier for veterans with relevant military training and experience.

Gov. LePage signed Public Law Chapter 603 in 2012 to ensure that veterans are given full credit for applicable military training and experience when they apply for an occupational license from the Department’s Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation. Earlier this year, the governor signed Public Law Chapter 311, which builds on last year’s measure.

“The people of Maine are tremendously grateful to those who have served,” LePage said, in a press release. “We have a responsibility to recognize their knowledge and skills, and to assist them in obtaining the credentials needed for job opportunities. Veterans have much to offer businesses and organizations throughout Maine, and our economy needs their contributions.”

The new law, which took effect Oct. 9, provides the department with greater flexibility in evaluating and crediting military experience toward license and continuing education requirements.  It should also assist veterans and spouses by permitting them to acquire a license by endorsement if they hold a comparable license in another state for the remainder of the term of that license or until a license is obtained in Maine.

In addition to more flexibility, the laws signed in 2012 and earlier this year have led to a concerted outreach effort by the Department.  Staff has been participating in job fairs for veterans and attending meetings of organizations that serve military members, veterans and their families.

The department’s homepage ( features information to assist veterans in applying their military training and experience toward occupational licensing requirements.  Details can also be obtained by calling Catherine Carroll at 624-8605. Veterans are encouraged to contact the Department before applying for licensure.  Military documentation that may be needed includes:

  • Copy of a DD Form 214, Report of Discharge; and
  • Copy of DD Form 2586, Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET).

“The department is committed to fully evaluating and crediting military experience whenever possible and appropriate,” Commissioner Head said in the press release.  “Veterans are encouraged to contact the Department to learn more about how we can assist them.”


No Further Information is Available