WILTON, Maine — Wilton CareerCenter will offer a variety of programs for jobseekers in January.
“Our partnerships between businesses and CareerCenters are helpful for both jobseekers and the employer,” said Governor Paul R. LePage. “CareerCenter staff can help people plan for a new career, connect with today’s job search tools and meet hiring decision-makers.”
Workshops and events are held at the CareerCenter unless otherwise noted. To learn more, like the Wilton CareerCenter on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WiltonCareercenter . Maine Veterans receive priority of service in all CareerCenter programs. To register for sessions held at the CareerCenter, call 474-4950.
Programs will include:
- GATEway to Employment: Wednesdays, Jan. 8 and 22, 9 a.m. to noon. This workshop offers an overview of basic information on resumes; interviews and job search skills as well as CareerCenter and community resources available during a job search-learn how the CareerCenter can help!
- Resumes and Interview Skills: An in-depth exploration of the job search, resumes, applications and interviews. Learn how to stand out positively by marketing yourself-in person and on paper-in a way that directly matches employer needs. “Tough” interview questions will be discussed so that you can answer them with confidence. Call us at 645-5800 to check our schedule of dates and times and schedule a workshop.
- Essentials of College Planning for Adults: Thursday, Jan. 23, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., covers the basic steps for successful college enrollment: learn about college and trade schools, entrance requirements, readiness and transitional issues of adult students, admissions procedures and financial aid. Review a typical admissions application, request admissions materials and financial aid information from prospective colleges and complete the financial aid form. To register, call 800-281-3703. Bring last year’s income tax forms to the appointment.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Orientation**: Orientation will be held Thursday, Jan. 2, 9 a.m. until noon. This orientation is for people with disabilities who are considering Vocational Rehabilitation services. Registration is not required.
- O Net Ability Profiler: Please call if interested; this workshop requires five or more participants to run. O*Net is a career exploration tool that helps individuals plan work livelihoods using a paper and pencil format with optional apparatus parts and computerized scoring. Results can be used to identify strengths for which more training/education is needed and to identify occupations that fit an individual’s strengths.
- Community College Adviser: Discuss your college options and explore college choices based on your interests and career goals. Call Randy Berry at 740-0112 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
CareerCenters, part of the Maine Department of Labor, offer a variety of services to help people find employment or upgrade skills. Each center provides several public-access computer workstations with Microsoft Office software, resume writing and cover letter software, Internet access and O*Net software for skills assessment. All CareerCenter services are free of charge.
Call 645-5800 (TTY users call Maine Relay 711) for additional information and to register for workshops held at the CareerCenter. The CareerCenter, located at 865 U.S. Rt. 2E Wilton, is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. More information is available on the CareerCenter website,http://www.mainecareercenter.com .
Maine CareerCenters are an equal opportunity provider. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.