FREEPORT, Maine – The Maine Innkeepers Education Foundation, affiliated with the Maine Innkeepers Association will present nine Maine students with hospitality scholarships at the eighth annual Tees & Textbooks event Monday and Tuesday, June 4-5.
The Scholarship Dinner will take place at 5:30 p.m. Monday June 4, at the Senator Inn and SPA in Augusta, followed by scholarship presentations and the comedy entertainment of Tony V. The 18th annual Maine Innkeepers Association Hospitality Golf classic will begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday, June 5, at Belgrade Lakes Golf Club.
More than $157,800 has been awarded to 249 Maine students since the scholarship program began in 1984. The program was designed to inspire Maine students pursuing hospitality careers.
Scholarship recipients are:
• Sierra Warner of Northport, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Charles Samelson Award of $1,000 award. Sponsored by Dirigo Stitching and Harry Samelson.
• Jordan Handy of Lewiston, Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, N.Y. Ed Langlois Award of $500. Sponsored by Sebasco Harbor Resort.
• Laura Brown of West Poland, Husson University, Bangor, Maine.
Women in Hospitality Award of $2,500. Sponsored by Nancy Gray, Maureen McQuade, Kathryn Weare, Jean Ginn Marvin and Marian Burns.
• Alexander Proach, of Moody, University of New England, Biddeford, Maine. Maine Innkeepers Memorial Award in Memory of Ray Weymouth, $600. Sponsored by employees at the Best Western Waterville Plus Hotel.
• Hailee Carter of Otis, Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester, N.H. Jedediah Scott Award of $1,000. Sponsored by Peter Daigle of Lafayette Hotels.
• Lee Kitchen of Rockport, New England Culinary Institute, Montpelier, Vt. Dennis Johnston Award of $500. Sponsored by Colonial Surveying.
• Darren Veilleux, of Winslow, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, R.I. John “Jack” Gibbons Award of $600. Sponsored by Fisherman’s Wharf.
• Dylan Bouchard of Greenville, University of Maine, Orono, Maine.
Harold Nelson & Irving Small Award of $500. Sponsored by Nelson & Small Inc.
• Belinda Place of Morrill, Thomas College, Waterville, Maine.
Ed and Fay Carpenter Award of $1000. Sponsored by friends and family members and Carrabasset Coffee.
Scholarship presentations will be made at 7:45 p.m., at the Senator Inn.
Tickets are $55 per person and proceeds will benefit the Maine Innkeeper’s Association Education Foundation. For information, call Jennifer Parlin at 207-865-6100 or email email@example.com.
Scholarships are awarded after review by a selection committee who consider scholastic records, financial need, extracurricular activities and a desire to work in hospitality to Maine students enrolled at fully accredited schools with specialties in culinary arts or hotel administration. This includes hospitality schools in the State University System, private universities or colleges, and Maine Community College Systems. Non-hospitality awards also may be available to employees and their families or family members of innkeepers.