PORTLAND and ELLSWORTH — The Equity Fund of the Maine Community Foundation seeks grant proposals for projects that support lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer, LGBTQ programs in Maine. Applications for project grants supporting the LGBTQ community in rural and other under-served communities are particularly encouraged, as are proposals for capacity-building support.
The deadline for applications is Sept. 15, 2012. Apply online at mainecf.org.
Last year, the Equity Fund distributed $39,380 in grants ranging in size from $2,000 to the maximum award amount of $7,500. The grantees were:
• All About Prevention, Brunswick, for a project that provides support and guidance for gay, bisexual, questioning or transgendered men with cognitive or physical disabilities who are joining GBTQ support groups.
• Down East AIDS Network, Ellsworth, to plan and conduct a comprehensive needs assessment of the LGBTQ population in Downeast Maine.
• Hancock County Auditorium Associates, Ellsworth, to support the Grand Auditorium’s second annual LGBT Film Festival.
• Lucid Inc., Portland, to support the 2012 LBGTQ Performance Series.
• Pine Tree Performing Arts, Portland, for the start-up of the Queer Youth Chorus Safe Arts Program.
• Squeaky Wheel Adventures, Surry, to support trips for LGBT youth.
• University of New England, Portland, for the Add Verb/Out and Allied Project, youth performing for LGBTQ activism.
• University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, Biddeford, for the UNECOM Q-Med Club, to advance physician and medical education on health care for LGBT persons.