|Williams College||Colby College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — The Colby College and Williams College women’s basketball teams had a tale of two halves before the Mules pulled away in overtime for a key 58-51 win in New England Small College Athletic Conference play.
The Mules improve to 9-11 overall and 3-4 in the league, while the Ephs drop to 11-10 and also 3-4 in the conference. Both teams will get tested Saturday, with the Mules at home against Middlebury College at 3 p.m. and Williams heading to Bowdoin College for a 3 p.m. start.
By the numbers
* Colby senior co-captain Haley Driscoll finished with 19 points on 7-for-11 shooting and eight rebounds.
* Katie McCrum added 11 points, nine rebounds, five assists, and two steals for the Mules. Ainsley Burns had all 10 of her points in the opening half, while Emily Davis finished with seven points, eight rebounds, and three assists. Paige Russell had all eight of her points in the second half, with two coming on big 3-point shots.
* Amanni Fernandez led the Ephs with 14 points, including 4-for-5 from 3-point range, and three assists.
* Kristin Fechtelkotter added 13 points and three steals for Williams. Mikaela Topper finished with nine points, while Gabby Martin had four assists.
* The Mules shot 63.6 percent from the field in the first quarter to take a 20-9 lead. Colby pushed the margin to 37-18 at halftime after holding the Ephs to 26.1 percent shooting.
* Williams picked up its defensive pressure and the shots started falling in the third quarter. The Ephs had a 13-4 scoring margin in the quarter to cut the lead to 10 points heading into the final quarter.
* Williams stormed out in the fourth quarter with a 10-0 scoring run to tie the game at 41-41 with 5:19 to play in regulation. Fernandez hit two 3-point shots and Topper had four points in the run.
* Once the game was tied, Colby seemed to settle down and received some clutch shots from Russell. She gave the Mules a 43-41 lead and then later nailed a 3-point shot to put Colby up 48-45 with 2:31 remaining.
* Fernandez tied the game at 48-48 with another 3-point shot with 2:06 to play, but neither team could manage a point the rest of regulation.
* Colby took control early in overtime when Driscoll scored inside off a nice pass from Davis. Russell followed with another 3-point shot to put the Mules up 53-48.
* Fernandez hit her fourth 3-point shot with 3:40 left in overtime, but the Ephs did not score again. McCrum hit a jump shot with 1:19 to play and added a free throw with 20 seconds left for a 56-51 margin.