|Williams College||Colby College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — Cierra San Roman finished with 46 saves and Lauren Klein scored her first collegiate goal for the Colby College women’s hockey team in a 1-1 overtime tie with Williams College on Friday night at Alfond Rink.
The Ephs (7-3-3 overall, 2-2-3 NESCAC) came into the game as one of the hottest teams in Division III hockey at 7-1-2 in their last 10 games. Colby moved to 4-5-3 overall and 1-3-3 in the conference. The two teams play again Saturday at 3 p.m.
* Klein, a Boston University transfer, picked a perfect time to score her first goal as a Mule. Tess Dupre, Anna Cosentino, and Klein came in on a three-on-two break as Williams was finishing a line change. Dupre skated in near the left boards and found Cosentino in the middle going toward the goal. Cosentino managed to push the puck forward to Klein in front of the goal and her backhand was deflected to the right by Williams goaltender Marissa Anderson. Klein quickly adjusted and whacked the puck in the goal as she was going to the ice with 10:24 left in the final period.
* Williams scored its lone goal at 16:32 of the first period on Meghan Halloran’s fifth of the season. With the Ephs putting on major pressure, Annie Rush won a puck behind the goal. Rush pushed a pass out to Brynn Puppe at the point and her shot was saved by San Roman. However, Halloran was near the right post and banged in the rebound.
By the numbers
* San Roman had 18 saves in the first period in lowering her goals against average to 1.77 and raising her save percentage to .938.
* Anderson moved to 5-1-1 on the season with 21 saves.
* The two teams combined for just one penalty when Colby was called for tripping in the second period.
* Abby Brustad was 18-5 on face-off attempts for the Ephs. Cassidy Holzer was 7-for-13 for the Mules.