August 19, 2019
School Sports Latest News | Chellie Pingree | Bangor Metro | Paupers' Grave | Today's Paper

Wesleyan Men's college basketball 67 at Bates 64

Game Time:
Add Score, Photos, or Highlights
Wesleyan University Bates College
67 64

LEWISTON, Maine — Wesleyan University senior captain Harry Rafferty hit a three from the top of the key with 53 seconds left in the game to give the No. 24 nationally ranked Cardinals the lead for good in a tough 67-64 loss for the Bates men’s basketball team Saturday afternoon.

The second half featured a number of big runs from both teams.

The Bobcats (12-6, 3-3 NESCAC) took an eight point lead when first-year Jeff Spellman (Boston, Mass.) hit a three with 9:32to go in regulation.

But the Cardinals (15-4, 3-3 NESCAC) went on a 6-0 run to trim the Bobcat lead to two with 7:59 left on a Nathan Krill layup.

Krill led all scorers Saturday with 20 points off the bench. He also grabbed 10 rebounds.

The teams traded buckets for awhile and Bates went up by four when senior Malcolm Delpeche (Wilmington, Del.) made a jumper with 6:09 to go in the game.

Wesleyan responded with a JR Bascom jumper and Krill drained a three to give the Cardinals a 58-57 lead with 5:10remaining.

The Bobcats refused to back down and Malcolm Delpeche’s layup with 1:20 left tied the contest at 62.

Wesleyan called a timeout and out of the timeout Rafferty, who was 0-4 from three to that point, pulled up from the top of the key and knocked down the go-ahead shot, putting Wesleyan up 65-62 with 53 seconds to go.

First-year Tom Coyne (Falmouth, Maine) drove hard to the hoop and drew a foul, nearly making the shot in the process. He settled for two free throws and made them both to cut the Wesleyan lead to one.

Bates fouled Rafferty and he made both free throws to extend the lead back to three with six seconds left in regulation.

The Bobcats got off a last second shot from senior co-captain Jerome Darling (Hartford, Conn.) but it fell short.

Darling had a very nice game for Bates, tallying 11 points, a team-high five assists and two steals. Senior Marcus Delpeche (Wilmington, Del.) led the Bobcats with 16 points. He tallied a double-double by grabbing 11 rebounds. Malcolm Delpeche finished with 15 points, five rebounds and six blocks.

Bates got off to a hot start and led by as many as 10 in the first half. Meanwhile Wesleyan never led by more than three points the entire game.

Marcus Delpeche’s layup with 16:07 to go in the first half put Bates up 14-4.

Bates lead 17-8 when Wesleyan went on a 9-0 run to tie the game at 17 with 11:09 left in the first half on a Krill dunk.

Coyne, who scored nine points off the bench, drilled a three with 1:55 to go in the first half to put Bates up 32-27. Then he sank a pair of free throws to extend the Bobcat lead to seven with 37 seconds to go.

But Kevin O’Brien hit a three at the buzzer, sending the teams into halftime separated by only four points.

The game marks Bates’ first loss this year in NESCAC play when leading at the half.

You may also like