|UM-Presque Isle||Colby College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — The Colby College men’s basketball team cracked down on defense and dominated the boards in the second half on the way to an 82-60 win over University of Maine at Presque Isle on the first day of the Colby Classic on Saturday.
The Mules stayed unbeaten at 4-0 and will meet Eastern Connecticut State (4-0) in the title game on Sunday at 3 p.m. UMPI (2-2) will play Montclair State (3-1) in the consolation game at 1 p.m.
By the numbers
* Colby’s Sam Jefferson had a game-high 22 points on 9-for-16 shooting from the field, including 4-of-10 from 3-point range.
* Dean Weiner had a fine all-around game with 14 points on 6-for-8 shooting, seven rebounds, six assists, and four blocked shots. Wallace Tucker also scored 14 points for the Mules on 5-for-9 shooting.
* Colby co-captain Pat Dickert came off the bench with 13 points and seven rebounds. Tyler Williams added seven rebounds and four assists, while Ethan Schlager also had seven rebounds.
* Maurice Harris finished with 14 points, nine rebounds, and two blocked shots for UMPI. Deandre Duncombe added 13 points and eight boards, Kevin Collins had 11 points and three assists, and Willburn Griffiths had 10 points.
* The Owls held the Mules to 30 percent shooting in the first half to take a 39-36 lead into halftime. Both teams had 26 rebounds in the opening 20 minutes, but the Mules finished with a 49-40 margin in boards.
* UMPI still led 48-44 with 15:34 left in the game, but Colby used a 27-4 scoring run to open up a 71-52 margin.