WATERVILLE, Maine — Moira Mullaney had a pair of goals and an assist as the Colby College women’s hockey team has already equaled last year’s win total after a 4-1 non-conference victory over University of Massachusetts at Boston on Saturday night at Alfond Rink.
The Mules are 2-5-1 overall, with four of the losses coming by just one goal. The Beacons dropped to 4-6-2.
* Colby had some fine passing on its first goal of the night at 3:43 of the first period. First-year Anna Cosentino came around the goal and found an open Tess Dupre, who immediately fired a pass to Lily Santonelli in front for the score.
* In the second period, first-year Elizabeth Brashich scored her first collegiate goal off an assist from Mullaney at 8:18. Brashich started the play with some fine hustle to put pressure on a defender in back of the net to force a turnover.
* The Beacons tied the game just 33 seconds later at 9:01 on an unassisted goal by junior Emily Harris. She picked up a free puck on the left side of the goal, circled back around, and put a wrist shot just inside the left post.
* Brashich again was hustling on Mullaney’s first goal to give the Mules a 3-1 lead. She forced a turnover at her own blue line and the puck squirted free to Mullaney for a breakaway goal at 6:38 of the final period.
* With just 2:01 left to play, Mullaney scored her second of the night on a turnover in front of the UMB goal.
By the numbers
* Colby goalie Cierra San Roman earned her first collegiate victory with 19 saves. She had 11 saves in the third period.
* Rachel Myette kept UMB in the game with 36 saves, including 29 in the opening two periods.
* The Mules are unbeaten at home this season at 2-0-1.