|UMass Boston||Colby College|
WATERVILLE, Maine — Despite a 36-36 deadlock on shots, ninth-ranked University of Massachusetts at Boston scored the first three goals of the game on the way to a 5-1 win over the Colby College men’s hockey team on the first day of the Bowdoin/Colby Face-Off ClaWATERVILLE, Maine — Despite a 36-36 deadlock on shots, ninth-ranked University of Massachusetts at Boston scored the first three goals of the game on the way to a 5-1 win over the Colby College men’s hockey team on the first day of the Bowdoin/Colby Face-Off Classic at Alfond Rink.
The Mules (1-2 overall) will play Saint Anselm College on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Bowdoin College. Saint Anselm is led by former Colby head coach Jim Tortorella. UMB (8-1) meets Bowdoin in the second game at 4 p.m.
* Nolan Redler scored his 10th goal of the season at 7:08 of the opening period from Zack Bross and Bryan Carter. Bross had his 12th assist of the season.
* Tyler Sifferien made it 2-0 after one period off assists from David MacGregor and Nick Albano with 4:01 remaining.
* Redler scored his second of the game at 12:58 of the second period from Jack Riley and John Regnart for a 3-0 margin.
* The Mules cut the margin down when Phil Klitirinos scored with 2:59 left in the second period off the first collegiate assist from Billy Overby and an assist from Brendan Murphy.
* UMass-Boston scored a big goal with just nine seconds left in the second when Colin Larkin scored his eighth of the season from Nick Albano.
* Larkin then had an assist on a goal by Zzack Bross at 12:33 of the third period.
By the numbers
* UMass-Boston goaltender Bailey MacBurnie moved to 7-0 this season with 35 saves.
* Andrew Tucci had his first start of the season and made 31 saves for Colby.
* While the Mules were playing just their third game, UMB was playing for the ninth time. The Beacons actually were playing games before the Mules had their first practice Nov. 1.
ssic at Alfond Rink.