|UM-Farmington||Saint Joseph's College|
STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph’s College (12-5) swept a non-conference baseball doubleheader with UMaine-Farmington (4-7) at Larry Mahaney Diamond on Monday afternoon. The Monks defeated the Beavers 6-5 and 5-0 and have now won eight-consecutive games.
GAME ONE – Saint Joseph’s 6, UMaine-Farmington 5
The Beavers staked an early lead with a two-run homer off the bat of senior right fielder Riley Chickering (Otisfield, Maine) in the top of the first, but the Monks answered with two runs in the bottom of the opening inning, when junior right fielder Anthony DiPrizio (Rochester, N.H.) plated Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.) with a single and later scored on a passed ball.
UMF regained the lead in the top of the third, when senior first baseman Taylor Lockhart (Hallowell, Maine) sent senior shortstop Jimmy Parks (Springvale, Maine) home with a single to right field. The lead proved to be short-lived however, as DiPrizio launched his first career home run, a two-run shot to left, in the bottom of the third to put the Monks back on top, 4-3.
St. Joe’s picked up a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth frame, when sophomore third baseman Will Martin (Arlington, Mass.) belted a two-run double to right-center.
Senior pitcher Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) entered the game in the top of the seventh and quickly recorded a pair of outs before walking senior second baseman Nick Attallades-Ryan (Otisfield, Maine). With a runner on first and two out, Chickering stepped up to the plate and belted his second two-run jack of the day to cut the SJC cushion to 6-5. Lockhart followed with a single, but junior Kevin Carter (Bowdoinham, Maine) stranded the tying run when he struck out looking.
ON THE MOUND – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· Sophomore starter Luke Klenda (Yarmouth, Maine) picked up his first win of the season after allowing three runs (one earned) off six hits and a walk with three K’s in four innings
· Sophomore Simon Gonzalez (Peabody, Mass.) worked a pair of clean innings in relief with a walk and a strikeout
· Hall earned his first collegiate save after allowing two runs off two hits and a walk with a pair of punch-outs in the seventh inning
ON THE MOUND – UMAINE-FARMINGTON:
· Senior starter Brett Elliott (Danville, Vt.) threw well but took the loss after yielding six runs (five earned) on six hits and three walks with four K’s in 5.2 innings
· Sophomore Justin Rodrigue (Augusta, Maine) sat down the only batter he faced in the bottom of the sixth
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH’S:
· DiPrizio went 2-2 with two runs, a homer, and three RBI
· Martin was 1-1 with a two-run double
OFF THE BAT – UMAINE-FARMINGTON:
· Chickering was 2-4 with two runs, two homers, and four RBI
· Lockhart went 2-4 with an RBI