WATERVILLE, Maine — Colby College’s Julia Saul drove home the game-winning run in the eight inning opener, but University of Maine at Farmington’s Alyssa Dillan had a pair of doubles and drove in two runs in the nightcap to help the teams split a non-conference softball doubleheader Wednesday.
The Mules took a 2-1 win in the first game, while UMF bounced back for a 3-2 victory in the second contest.
Game 2 highlights
* Hill joined Dillan as UMF (5-15) batters with two hits. Karen Flaherty went 1-for-2, while Thompson and Oberg both had one hit and one run.
* Swartz and Mason both had two hits in the second game for Colby. Rohall went 1-for-2, Niemiec had a hit and a run, Holton smacked an RBI triple, and Hartnett had an RBI double.
* UMF scored all three of its runs in the opening inning. Hill had an RBI single to bring in Thompson, who stroked a one-out single earlier in the inning. Dillan had her two-run double to bring in Oberg and Hill. Oberg had singled Hill to third and both scored on the double.
* Brianna McGrath worked all seven innings for the Beavers and had four strikeouts and one walk.
* Saul also pitched well for the Mules with four strikeouts and two walks in a complete game.