WATERVILLE, Maine — Tufts University used smothering defense and received 15 points from Erica DeCandido in a 65-43 win over Colby College in the NESCAC women’s basketball opener for both teams Friday night.
The fourth-ranked Jumbos moved to 11-1 overall and 1-0 in the league, while the Mules dropped to 5-5 and 0-1. Tufts plays at Bowdoin College on Saturday at 3 p.m., while Colby entertains Bates College in a league game at 3 p.m.
By the numbers
* DeCandido was 7-for-9 from the field and added four rebounds, three assists, and two steals.
* Melissa Baptista finished with 14 points and blocked three shots, while Jac Knapp had 13 points, three assists, and three steals for the Jumbos.
* Ainsley Burns was 4-for-7 from the field for a team-high eight points for Colby. Paige Russell added seven points and Grace Coutu had six points and seven rebounds. Katie McCrum had six rebounds and three assists.
* The Jumbos used tough half-court defense to challenge every pass and shot in taking a 19-6 lead after one quarter. Tufts took a 36-14 lead into intermission.
* The Mules had a 17-11 scoring advantage in the fourth quarter, with Coutu active offensively and on the boards.