|University of Southern Maine||Husson University|
BANGOR, Maine – The Husson University women’s basketball team (4-5, 3-1 NAC) kicked off 2018 with bang, taking down the University of Southern Maine (5-7, 2-0 GNAC), 76-63, after a second half surge on Wednesday evening.
The Eagles grasped a steady lead on the Huskies early in the first quarter as Emma Alley connected on a jump shot, 6-5. Husson held onto this lead until the final seconds of the opening quarter when Southern Maine’s Kristen Curley tied up the match, 14-14. Determined to reclaim the lead, Kenzie Worcester raced down the court sneaking in a basket just as the buzzer went off to conclude the first quarter, 16-14.
Helping the Eagles extend their lead to nine points, Sami Ireland drained six points in just the second quarter as she leads the game with ten points going into half with Husson up 32-23.
The Huskies stepped up their game, catching up with the Eagles before the midpoint of the third quarter, tying up the game, 36-36, when Alexa Srolovitz netted a jumper in the paint. Curley flourished on this momentum scoring three consecutive baskets to give Southern Maine their first lead, 42-40, since the opening minutes of the night.
This deficit did not sit well with the Eagles, as Alley kicked off a retaliation run sinking a deep 3-pointer followed up with a jumper, outscoring the Huskies 14-2 in the final 3:38 of the third quarter.
Husson surged ahead in the fourth, cushioning their lead to a game-high of 16 points halfway through the final quarter as they cruised to a 76-63 victory.
LEADERS – HUSSON:
· Sophomore center Ireland registered her second career double-double while breaking her personal record with 19 points in a single match plus 11 rebounds
· Tying for lead scorer, junior guard Worcester contributed 22 points, shooting 10-12 from the charity stripe while dishing out five assists
· Freshman guard Alley was all over the court using her agility to grab four steals, three assists, and 11 points
· Freshman center Megan Peach was just one point and rebound shy of a double-double, chipping in nine points and nine boards
LEADERS – Southern Maine:
· Senior guard Emily Nicholson tied for lead scorer, netting 22 points while connecting 12 points from behind the arc
· Sophomore forward Chantal Eells grabbed nine rebounds and three steals
· Freshman guard Curley tallied 19 points while shooting 8-9 from the free throw line
Husson edged the Huskies in rebounds(50-32) and steals (12-7) while Southern Maine had the advantage in 3-pointers (6-1).
The Eagles will travel to Maine Maritime on Saturday, January 6, for their second meeting of the season and a conference matchup with a 1:00 PM tip-off.